If you thought your gut ‘ s only purpose was to aid in digestion, you ‘ re not alone. Not only does it interact with almost every cell in your body, it also influences everything from your immune system, to memory, mood and metabolism.
Your skin is one of the first places to show signs of an unhealthy gut.
When things are out of balance, your gut becomes overrun with bad bacteria. This is what leads to poor gut health, which can manifest through your skin and result in acne, dryness, redness and dullness.
Signs of an unhealthy gut
- Skin problems
- Upset stomach or diarrhea
- Gas and bloating
- Chronic fatigue
- Unintentional weight changes
- Food intolerances
- Mood disorders
- Poor concentration
- Autoimmune diseases
- Food cravings
What causes poor gut health?
The food we eat is one of the main contributors. While good bacteria loves plant foods, complex carbs and fibre, bad bacteria thrives on sugar and processed foods. When we ‘ re consuming too much of the latter, it throws our gut health into complete chaos.
But, food alone isn ‘ t the only cause – chronic stress, medications, poor sleep hygiene and alcohol play a major role, too. A holistic approach is needed to keep your gut healthy and happy.
8 Ways to improve to ways to improve your gut health
- Clean up your diet and try to get in more high-fibre veggies, healthy fats, and lean proteins.
- Take a probiotic supplement.
- Eat fermented foods like yoghurt, sauerkraut and kombucha.
- Limit or cut out sugar as this feeds yeast and bad bacteria.
- Manage your stress levels with daily activities (for example, deep breathing, stretching and making time for things that boost your mood.)
- Move your body regularly with exercises you enjoy.
- Get enough sleep – a minimum of seven hours is recommended.
- Avoid taking unnecessary antibiotics.
For improved skin health, you could also try adding an omega-6 supplement to your daily routine. Vital Health Science Pure Evening Primrose Oil 1000 mg contains Rigel evening primrose oil, which supports skin barrier function, a healthy skin profile and hormonal balance.